Maddy and Pita get to say what is the
Friday, July 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
where seeds are planted, roots take hold, friends and family gather, and stories are told
If I had my child to raise all over again,
I’d finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I’d take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I would care to know less, and know to care more.
I’d take more hikes and fly more kites.
I’d stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I’d do more hugging and less tugging.
I’d build self-esteem first, and the new house later.
I would be firm less often, and affirm much more.
I’d teach less about the love of power, and more about the power of love.
1 comment:
So cute and sweet! I love her kissing noises. I remember doing that. I couldn't get enough of you and Katie when you were born.
As a big sister 3 times over, it is a sweet and new time, but an adjustment, no matter how 'good' the kid. So let Maddy get used to it and not expect her to be happy all the time. I wasn't. It's natural for there to be an adjustment. If there is no adjustment, something's not right.
I don't remember when Mom and Dad brought Matt home b/c I was only 13 months old, but I remember when they brought you and Katie home.
I was so proud and protective and did have an adjustment. Kate was in her little car seat, and I remember asking Mom what the little white specks on her nose were. Even when a neighbor, LaVerne, came to visit, I felt like I needed to guard Kate from outsiders :) Mary, when you were at home, Chrissy Barlos came by and asked if you were a "Junior." Of course you were, but i had no idea. I said, "No." LOL I wanted to stick around while she was there so I could 'guard' you.
Makes me cry to think of the love I had for both of you in my 5 and 7 year old heart.
I would think that when Matt came home there was a bit of jealousy b/c I was not the center of Mom and Dad's world. We were a 'we' now and not a 'me' as Maddy had been for the past 24 months as she has been in your and Caleb's world.
That is only natural and in God's plan to help us grow. I thank God that no one is perfect in these things.
Madge will have growing pains and act up. She's a good big sister, but a very human little girl. I have been there. I am 34 but was once 2, so I claim some experience. Funny how you can remember things from so long ago, but I do. :0)
Now I have five (5!) godchildren (4 girls, 1 boy) whose parents knew me worthy to guide their children to me as a spiritual mother. I am grateful to and responsible for them--grateful that they deem me a good role model for their children, a charge which I take seriously; responsible in the faith that my parents have given me and lived--yes, lived, not perfectly, but faithfully. I pray that you both will do as good a job as our mom and dad did.
Post a Comment